This post by Charlie Gilkey applies to a lot of academics.
Prove Them Right.
What about all the people who said you could do it?
The people who always saw more in you than you ever saw in yourself.
The ones who caught you when you fell and steered you straight when you were lost.
Wondering who your yaysayers are?
- the hiring committee that gave you this job: they thought you would be a credit to their department
- your PhD supervisor
- your examiners
- your publisher
- the colleagues who comment on your draft manuscripts and encourage you to submit them
- the colleagues you can’t wait to meet up with at the annual conference
- the people on that e-mail list
- the journalists and policy makers who come to you for expert opinions
It’s easy to focus on all the critics. It’s even easy to dismiss the praise as unwarranted.
What would happen if you accepted the praise and dismissed the critics?
This post was edited July 13, 2015.