If you are ready for a change and need support to make the change, I can help.
A Guide for the Journey is a coaching programme to help you make significant changes to the way you work. We have bi-weekly 45 minute coaching calls. You can also email me between calls to ask for reassurance or advice as you go about your daily work and life. We work together for a minimum of 6 months so you have an opportunity to fine tune the strategies that will be most helpful and really establish new habits.
It costs £900 for 6 months. You can pay in 6 monthly instalments of £150.
After 6 months, we review your situation and you decide whether you want to continue or not.
If you are feeling a bit lost and also need support to clarify your vision and direction, you can start with a Wayfinding session.
Quick links to other sections on this page:
Change is difficult. You have autonomy (even if it’s constrained). You have choices (albeit not always the ones you’d like). You also have established ways of doing things, and stories you are used to telling about how things are. Change throws up a lot of emotional reactions. The people around you are also affected by the changes you are making and you will need to address at least some of their reactions.
I do not have a magic wand to make it all easy. Working with me will smooth the process.
- You’ll get clarity on what you want to do more quickly.
- I’ll help you assess the risks and decide on a course of action you are comfortable with.
- You’ll have support to stick with your decisions and new habits until they feel more comfortable.
- I’ll help you decide whether to push through, adjust, or abandon a course of action.
- I’ll help you deal with the unexpected.
- I’ll help you reframe situations and tell new stories.
Furthermore, you have me to vent to even if there is nothing you can do about an awful situation. You can freak out, cry, boast, or express any other emotion. You are allowed to feel what you feel. I won’t let you wallow unproductively in that emotion but I won’t make you push it down either. I also reassure, encourage, and commiserate.
I know you have mentors, colleagues, friends, and maybe even a partner who could help you with some of these things. Working with me complements those relationships. It may even make those relationships better because they can meet other needs you have without this stuff getting in the way.
What might prompt you to do this?
It might be a general sense that you are dissatisfied with how things are going, believe things can be better, and want to make some changes. However, more likely something specific will prompt you to consider this. Here are some of things that have prompted former clients in case that helps:
- Wanting to make good use of sabbatical or study leave
- Needing or wanting to finish a book or other major project
- Getting a research grant or a significantly bigger grant
- Returning to work after maternity leave
- Struggling with requirements for tenure/confirmation/contract renewal.
- Needing to publish more to get a promotion or be competitive for a different job.
- Wanting a better work-life balance.
- Getting a diagnosis that makes you want or need to change how you work. (e.g. ADHD, autism, or a chronic illness).
I use a conference line with a WebCall option and local numbers in many countries so the costs of connecting are minimised. I am willing to discuss reasonable accommodations for deaf clients or others who find phone conversations difficult/impossible.
I record our conversations so you can focus on the conversation itself. You can download the recording and save it to listen to later. I do not keep copies of the recordings.
Full membership of the Academic Writing Studio is included. This means you can attend A Meeting With Your Writing if the times fit with your schedule and use the asynchronous resources available on the member website.
Let’s do this!
I have the capacity for up to 10 clients and have space available to take on new clients now. I am in the UK so capacity may also be restricted by time zone differences. If you are in Australia or similar time zones, meetings will be in the evening your time. In North/Central/South American meetings will be in the morning your time. I will create a waiting list if capacity for clients in your region is full.
Use the form to register and pay.
(If you aren’t sure, contact me and let me know your concerns. We can discuss them by email or make an appointment to discuss by phone.)